Tuesday 21 April 2015

Guest Blogger: Red Sea Liveaboard by Louise Kelly

Well what can I say... I don't think I have the words to describe how emotional and amazing this trip was! I was a nervous wreck on the way to the airport, and actually ended up getting upset when it came to leaving my family and heading off on my own. I had no idea what to expect, and not having a lot of experience with diving myself, I was very worried about what the dives would be like. I met a few of the people I would be staying with at the airport and they were all lovely. My emotions were everywhere and trying to keep calm with new people was very hard. But all the bad emotions soon went away when we finally reached the boat and got ourselves settled.

I was put in a cabin with another girl who was also travelling alone, so we were both in the same situation, which helped me a lot. The first night however, I couldn't eat or sleep and all the bad thoughts where racing through my head about how things could go wrong, how I would mess my dives up, and annoy people for being such a nervous wreck.

We were woken up at 5.30am the next day and I felt even worse, everyone was so lovely on board the boat and were so understanding about me feeling nervous, which definitely helped. Finally, I managed to get into my dive gear and go for my first dive! I have no idea why I felt so bad before, because the dive was amazing and beautiful and I was completely fine! I might not of been perfect, but nothing bad happened, although I needed to practice my buoyancy and breathing calmly more. But apart from that it went fine. Then after the dive all the worry and anxiety seemed to die away and everybody seemed to be so happy and relaxed. I'm not going to lie, at every dive briefing I was worried about what they would say and what the dive conditions were going to be like, but I think that's something you're always going to feel until you've had a lot of experience with all dive conditions.

Each day that went by I felt more relaxed, confident and happy. By day 4 my buoyancy had improved so much, and this was the day we also snorkeled with the dolphins and jumped off the top of the boat and had a really funny, happy day! Everyone's emotions where so high that day! Laughing, chatting, and feeling amazing really made me feel special too!

The whole experience has really helped me grow, not only with my diving, but as a person as well! I feel more confident and I'm definitely happier! Never let your emotions stop you from doing what you love, I know it's hard when you're feeling nervous and worried, but always take things at your own pace and never feel like you can't do it! I know first hand how anxiety and nerves can make you feel, and I managed to have the best experience of my life! I will have more moments in the future where those feelings will come back, but as long as I don't let them stop me from doing what I love, then they won't be a problem!


This really was an amazing trip, full of amazing people, and amazing memories. Liveaboard holidays are definitely something I'm going to carry on enjoying!


No comments:

Post a Comment