Monday 11 May 2015

Guest Blogger: Kanina Harty

After becoming a Divemaster with Orca Scuba Diving Academy a couple of years ago, I decided that I wanted to spend as much time as possible working in and protecting the sea. At the moment I'm working as Project Manager for The Manta Trust and a marine conservation charity, Planeta Océano, in a little town in northern Peru. It only takes 20 hours by bus, on a good day, to travel from the capital Lima.

I'm in such a place to help educate the local community of fishermen, families and children about the marine animals in their sea. So many animals can be found from turtles to manta rays! Last week we went into three schools in one day. They were so enthusiastic! In the beginning they said that they were scared of everything in the sea. Half of their fathers were fishermen and they have stories about these great "monsters". We also told them about the whales, dolphins and sharks, and that I've been diving with sharks and mantas for years and I still have all my limbs!! When we had finished with each group, we asked if they would get in the water with mantas now - everyone put their hands up!

Feels good that we are making progress even though it's slow. Hopefully we can teach this generation to protect what they have on their doorstep. One presentation at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment