Sunday 22 March 2015

Guest blogger: Courtney

On Saturday 14th of March, I went to the Underwater Film Studio in Basildon for work experience, to help the film crew shoot a music video for a band called The Maccabees. This involved me being able to ask questions about their jobs, and how the film crew got to where they are now. Everyone was very open to discussing his or her life experiences with me, making me feel comfortable in an unknown environment. I also got a chance to talk to the directors and camera crew about my ambitions, and they gave me great advice on how to progress in what I would like to achieve in the future.

The start of the day was a little rushed; however by setting up the equipment with the crew, I instantly felt like part of the team. This helped me to relax, considering I was in such an important underwater shoot for the music video. After the studio was set up, it allowed me to ask more questions of what the crew wanted to shoot and how they were going to do this. As well as this, the lighting was explained in great detail, allowing me to understand the reasoning behind what they were shooting. This hands on experience will allow me to extend my own understanding of lighting for my own photography shoots as part of my Level 3 BTEC in Photography, where I regularly use the studio and the studio lighting. In addition, I have learnt how to layer films one on top on the other, again teaching me a new skill, one of many that is transferable to my work. I feel I have extended not only my technical skills, but also my confidence in a demanding situation. 

When continuing to talk to the crew, I spoke to the makeup stylist and the people in the wardrobe department. This allowed me to look at other aspects of the film crew and understand their importance in the making of the film. This experience has encouraged me to continue my aspirations and continue onto university, as I aim to proceed into this industry.

I would like to extend my gratitude to the whole crew for allowing me to take part in such an exciting day!

Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment