Wednesday 4 March 2015

Guest Blogger: Toni Bryson

When it comes to diving, the most important element is not always the experience but whom you share it with. Orca Scuba Diving Academy is a friendly and close community of people that dedicate their time and efforts willingly and enthusiastically to anyone, new or not. It’s a family experience you look forward to returning to.

I began my journey with Gary and the crew when I was 18 in 2011. A ‘fresh fish’ with no diving experience but a deep interest in it nonetheless. Despite me being seemingly unfit and having recovered from a kidney transplant, Gary worked patiently yet effectively while enforcing a strict professionalism and supportive manner. He encouraged me to learn by doing it myself, yet always being there if I required assistance. I remember him laughing the first time I failed to pick up a tank and wondering how this weak little South African was going to cope. Something we still laugh about today… boy did I show him haha!

So I went from PADI Open Water to Advanced and then on to Rescue and EFR, as well as a Dry Suit speciality. At the time I was studying Marine & Natural History Photography at Falmouth University, and had no doubt that I would return only to Orca to get myself qualified. As well as that, Gary kitted me out extensively with all the equipment and even a customised Dry Suit, all of which I am still happily using.

Through my confident training at Orca, in 2013 I joined a Marine Conservation Expedition in the Seychelles, which was an experience of a life time! Now at the age of 21, I am 2 months away from completing my degree in Marine Photography and have plans to travel to Rhodes, Tenerife and South Africa this summer for extensive diving experiences as well as gaining my Dive Master.

I know that I am always welcome back to Orca and look forward to the opportunities that I do. Their training pool is second to none, and Gary and myself have even encouraged my parents to try it out. My father is now a qualified PADI Advanced Diver!

I owe a lot to this bunch and will never forget the wonderful memories and cold temperatures we experienced together. I highly recommend them to anyone who shares a love and interest in the marine environment and cannot speak highly enough of the extra care and personal efforts they put into each individual. 

Thank you Orca x

Feel free to check out the fruits of my labour at www.tonibryson.com
Or my Instagram and Twitter: @TJBrys 





1 comment: